Monday was a national holiday,
today, all my classes were cancelled,
tomorrow, I have no classes
Thursday is a national holiday
Friday is a holiday
Saturday is a national holiday
no school on Sundays..
So, add all of the above plus last weekend? I'm getting 9 days straight of no classes muhahahahaha (my much needed holiday) Finally.
I just got the order I placed for books through amazon.co.jp and boy am I crying my eyes out (hysterically? - it is my holiday but now I face the amount of reading material I have- and that wasn't all of it!) Anyway, one of the books I got was The Tale of Genji, you've probably heard of it before, if you haven't! (o.o)
Here's a wiki reference:
"It is sometimes called the world's first novel, the first modern novel, or the first novel to still be considered a classic. The issue remains debated among scholars."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Genji
Well... I hope that was helpful. It's as thick (though a little smaller) as one of my previous Sociology textbooks. I've read a couple of pages already and it really is rather interesting. I would recommend to anyone who would like to read it (for fun, from curiosity, for some light literature) to read the 2002 translation by Royall Tyler. All the other translations are alright however, Tyler's is the easiest to read (as in smooth reading, lots of notes, pictures, descriptions etc).
I've also got Kafka and Michel Foucault, Walter Benjamin etc. on the reading list. Crazy huh? I really feel like I went back to studying sociology.
Ah. Second year of University life. Second year in Kobe. First year in my Department. Anyway. You gotta love it.
Holiday!!
Not through violence, but through the word alone
2007-05-01
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Got this book called '1984' by George Orwell. The story is about a dystopian totalitarian society. I think you heard of the term 'BIG BROTHER'?
Anyway, I didn't get to finish it last year. I started reading again and I found it much easier to read it now that I studied sociology. Interesting book too.
Post a Comment